Posterior Rectus Sheath: A Prospective Study of Laparoscopic Live Surgical Anatomy during Total Extraperitoneal Preperitoneal Hernioplasty
Maulana M Ansari
Clinical research, Laparoscopic live surgical anatomy, Posterior rectus canal, Posterior rectus sheath, Preperitoneal anatomy, Total extraperitoneal preperitoneal access anatomy, Total extraperitoneal preperitoneal anatomy.
Citation Information :
Ansari MM. Posterior Rectus Sheath: A Prospective Study of Laparoscopic Live Surgical Anatomy during Total Extraperitoneal Preperitoneal Hernioplasty. World J Lap Surg 2018; 11 (1):12-24.
Aim: Posterior rectus sheath (PRS) recently assumed great importance during laparoscopic total extraperitoneal preperitoneal (TEPP) hernioplasty. However, literature is scanty and cadaveric. Novel observations on live PRS anatomy are reported here.
Materials and methods: Totally, 60 male patients with primary inguinal hernia underwent 68 TEPP hernioplasties. Standard 3-midline-port technique was used with telescopic dissection. Data were analyzed as mean ± standard deviation (SD).
Results: All patients were male with mean age and body mass index of 50.1 ± 17.2 years (18–80) and 22.6 ± 2.0 kg/m2 (19.5–31.2) respectively. The classically described PRS (normal-length whole tendinous) was found in only 46% of the cases, while in the remaining 54%, the PRS was found as variant types, which included short whole-tendinous (4.4%), long whole tendinous (LWT) (4.4%), complete-length whole tendinous (8.8%), normal-length partly tendinous (NPT) (11.8%), long partly tendinous (LPT) (10.3%), normal-length thinned-out (NTO) (1.5%), complete-length thinned-out (4.4%), normal-length grossly attenuated (1.5%), complete-length grossly attenuated (4.4%), complete-length partly tendinous (CPT) (1.5%), and complete-length musculo-tendinous (CMT) (1.5%). Additionally, anatomy of the PRS was not a mirror image on the two sides of the body in 75% of patients with bilateral hernias. No hernia recurrence occurred in mean follow-up of 33 months.
Conclusion: Posterior rectus sheath varied markedly in its extent and morphology, resulting in its categorization of 12 types. Truly new visions of the structures known for centuries are realized under excellent perspective and magnification of laparoscopy, and, therefore, continued anatomic research is strongly recommended.
Clinical significance: Crisp, precise knowledge of preperitoneal anatomy is of paramount importance for timely identification of its variations in order to perform a seamless laparoscopic hernia repair with better outcome.
Flament, JB.; Avisse, C.; Delattre, JF. Anatomy of the abdominal wall. In: Bendavid R, Abrahamson J, Arregui ME, Flament JB, Phillips EE, editors. Abdominal wall hernias: principles and management. Chapter 8. New York: Spinger-Verlag; 2001. pp. 39-63.
Spitz JD, Arregui ME. Sutureless laparoscopic extraperitoneal inguinal herniorrhaphy using reusable instruments: two hundred three repairs without recurrence. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2000 Feb;10(1):24-29.
Cunningham SC, Rosson GD, Lee RH, Williams JZ, Lustman CA, Slezak S, Goldberg NH, Silverman RP. Localization of the arcuate line from surface anatomic landmarks: a cadaveric study. Ann Plast Surg 2004 Aug;53(2):129-131.
Faure JP, Doucet C, Rigourd PH, Richer JP, Scepi M. Anatomical pitfalls in the technique for total extra peritoneal laparoscopic repair for inguinal hernias. Surg Radiol Anat 2006 Oct;28(5):486-493.
Choi YY, Kim Z, Hur KY. The safety and effectiveness of laparoscopic total extraperitoneal (TEP) repair for recurrent inguinal hernia after open hernioplasty. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech 2010 Jul-Aug;20(6):537-539.
Scheuerlein H, Schiller A, Schneider C, Scheidbach H, Tamme C, Kockerling F. Totally extraperitoneal repair of recurrent inguinal hernia: results from 179 consecutive patients. Surg Endosc 2003 Jul;17(7):1072-1076.
Lau H. Endoscopic totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernioplasty for recurrence after open repair. ANZ J Surg 2004 Oct;74(10):877-880.
Garg P, Menon GR, Rajagopal M, Ismail M. Laparoscopic total extraperitoneal repair of recurrent inguinal hernias. Surg Endosc 2010 Feb;24(2):450-454.
Marks SC Jr, Gilroy AM, Page DW. The clinical anatomy of laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair. Singapore Med J 1996 Oct; 37(5):519-521.