World Journal of Laparoscopic Surgery

Register      Login

VOLUME 15 , ISSUE 2 ( May-August, 2022 ) > List of Articles

Original Article

Role of Hysterolaparoscopy in Evaluation of Subfertility

Saraswati Ramesh, KS Harinath, Soumya R Patil

Keywords : Diagnostic laparoscopy, Infertility, Hysterolaparoscopy

Citation Information : Ramesh S, Harinath K, Patil SR. Role of Hysterolaparoscopy in Evaluation of Subfertility. World J Lap Surg 2022; 15 (2):116-119.

DOI: 10.5005/jp-journals-10033-1519

License: CC BY-NC 4.0

Published Online: 16-08-2022

Copyright Statement:  Copyright © 2022; The Author(s).


Introduction: Diagnosing and treating subfertility is a most rapidly evolving area in modern medicine. Advances in endoscopic surgery have revolutionized the diagnostic and management approach to an infertile couple. Unlike USG and HSG, hysterolaparoscopy single-handedly provides information regarding uterine, ovarian, tubal, as well as pelvic pathology. Materials and methods: A prospective analysis was performed at BEST Institute and Research Centre, AV hospital, Bengaluru, over a period of 2 years. Couples presenting to the infertility clinic were subjected for thorough history taking, general examination, and gynecological examination. All necessary investigations were performed. Women who approached with fertility issues as a complaint and who could be potentially benefited from hysterolaparoscopy were included in the study. Results: A total of 102 patients were evaluated in the study, out of which 67 (65.7%) women had primary infertility and the rest (34.3%) had secondary infertility. Ovarian pathologies such as ovarian cysts, endometriosis of the ovary, and PCOS were the most common abnormality detected on laparoscopy followed by uterine pathologies. The most common hysteroscopic pathology was a polyp. Conclusion: Combined hysterolaparoscopy is a safe, effective, and reliable tool in comprehensive evaluation of subfertility. It should be considered as a definitive day-care procedure for evaluation and treatment of female subfertility.

PDF Share
  1. “WHO Infertility”. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
  2. World Health Organization. Infecundity, infertility, and childlessness in developing countries. DHS Comparative Reports No 9. Calverton, Maryland, USA: ORC Macro and the World Health Organization; 2004.
  3. Acholonu, Uchenna C, et al. Hysterosalpingography versus sonohysterography for intrauterine abnormalities. JSLS 2011;15(4):471–474. DOI: 10.4293/108680811X13176785203923.
  4. Shaikh FS. Correlation of ultrasonography, hysterosalpingography and hysterolaparoscopy findings in cases of infertility. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol 2017;6(12):5390–5395. DOI: 10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20175248.
  5. Sharma JB. In vitro fertilization and embryo transfer in female genital tuberculosis. IVF Lite 2015;2(1):14–25. DOI: 10.4103/2348-2907.158735.
  6. Gomel V, McComb PF. Investigation of tubal and peritoneal causes of infertility. In: Gomel V, Brill AI (eds.). Reconstructive and Reproductive Surgery in Gynecology, 1st ed. London: Informa Healthcare 2010: 243–259.
  7. Mol BWJ, Collins JA, Burrows EA, et al. Comparison of hysterosalpingography and laparoscopy in predicting fertility outcome. Hum Reprod 1999;14(5):1237–1242. DOI: 10.1093/humrep/14.5.1237.
  8. Popovic H, Sulovic V, Vucetić D. Laparoscopic treatment of adnexal sterility. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2005;32(1):31–34. PMID: 15864933.
  9. Puri S, Jain D. Laparohysteroscopy in female infertility: a diagnostic cum therapeutic tool in Indian setting. Int J Appl Basic Med Res 2015;5(1):46–48. DOI: 10.4103/2229-516X.149240.
  10. Kamiński P, Wieczorek K, Marianowski L. Usefulness of hysteroscopy in diagnosing sterility. Ginekol Pol 1992;63(1):634–637. PMID: 1305584.
  11. Nayak PK, Mahapatra PC, Mallick J, et al. Role of diagnostic hystero-laparoscopy in the evaluation of infertility: a retrospective study of 300 patients. J Hum Reprod Sci 2013;6(1):32–34. DOI:10.4103/0974-1208.112378.
PDF Share
PDF Share

© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.